engineered seed on brackish soil

jglenn at igc.apc.org jglenn at igc.apc.org
Wed Aug 16 12:46:28 EST 1995

USAID is putting together a long range strategy in Jamaica for the
next 20 years.  We would appreciate if anyone has the information
about applying genetically engineered seeds to brackish soil.

(1) Will genetically engineered seeds be available to grow on land
that is getting more brackish over the next 20 years?

(2) Will it be recommended to try to make the soil less
brackish?  Or is this impossible?  Or is this an irrelevant task, if
genetically engineered plants are availble within the next 20 years?

Crops grown in Jamaica are: sugar, banana, vegetables, coconuts,
papaya, and other agricultural exports from tropical Caribbean
countries.

Please respond via email to me with cc to intern at igc.apc.org
as I am not able to read the newsgroup often.

Regards,

--
Fumiaki Kamiya