Survival of who?

Deep Throat carterb at cadvision.com
Tue Aug 22 22:22:48 EST 1995

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST APPLIED TO HUMANS OF THE MODERN WORLD
	There is no doubt that Darwin's theory concerning the survival of the
fittest is correct when applied to organisms living in nature, but it
loses all of its integrity when applied to humans living in today's
society's. The reason that the theory works in nature is because the
natural world is an aesthetically pleasing place where there is no
pity or compassion or emotion. Species exist to the best of their
abilities, and should they die off, it's just as well, because they
were not properly suited to their environment. If a particular
organism is born with an advantage, it will prosper and flourish, if
it is born with a cripple, it will perish and not reproduce. That is
the beauty of the natural world.
	However in human societies, we treat everyone as equal and go out of
our way to aid the helpless in extending their lives and leading a
normal life. Some have guessed that in thousands of years, humans will
have evolved huge brains or will look very different then they do
today. This will not occur, because should a freak with a larger brain
be born, he will be treated like everyone else and not reap the
benefits of his advantage. Likewise, should a man be born with only
one kidney, or some other defect, he would live to pass this trait
onto his children and future generations. That is the problem with
human evolution. Unless things change, human's may evolve in negative
ways, and we may not become the creatures we would like to be.
What do YOU think?
Brad Carter
carterb at cadvision.com
Calgary, Alberta, Canada