Survival of what?

Michael Gregory Abel, University of Tennessee abel at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Wed Aug 23 09:41:48 EST 1995

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Deep Throat wrote:

> SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST APPLIED TO HUMANS OF THE MODERN WORLD
> 	There is no doubt that Darwin's theory concerning the survival of the
> fittest is correct when applied to organisms living in nature, but it
> loses all of its integrity when applied to humans living in today's
> society's. The reason that the theory works in nature is because the
> natural world is an aesthetically pleasing place where there is no
> pity or compassion or emotion. Species exist to the best of their
> abilities, and should they die off, it's just as well, because they
> were not properly suited to their environment. If a particular
> organism is born with an advantage, it will prosper and flourish, if
> it is born with a cripple, it will perish and not reproduce. That is
> the beauty of the natural world.
> 	However in human societies, we treat everyone as equal and go out of
> our way to aid the helpless in extending their lives and leading a
> normal life. Some have guessed that in thousands of years, humans will
> have evolved huge brains or will look very different then they do
> today. This will not occur, because should a freak with a larger brain
> be born, he will be treated like everyone else and not reap the
> benefits of his advantage. Likewise, should a man be born with only
> one kidney, or some other defect, he would live to pass this trait
> onto his children and future generations. That is the problem with
> human evolution. Unless things change, human's may evolve in negative
> ways, and we may not become the creatures we would like to be.
> What do YOU think?
> Brad Carter
> carterb at cadvision.com
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think a man named Hitler had a similar outlook on the evolution of man
back in the 1930's.....the Serb's and Croat's are trying to adjust their
evolutionary direction today....with organisms like ourselves that have
evolved a higher intellect, the survival of the fittest must be adjusted
to include the survival of the smartest.

Michael Gregory Abel *   **   **   **   **   **   **   **   **   **   **
University of Tennessee *::* *::* *::* *::* *::* *::*Abel at utkvx.utk.edu:*
Department of Microbiology::*::::*::::*::::*::::*::::*615-974-2933::*::::*
Walters Life Sciences Bldg:* *::* *::* *::* *::* *::* *::* *::* *::* *::*
Knoxville, TN 37996-0845 **   **   **   **   **   **   **   **   **   **
           "We are constantly faced with great opportunities
              brilliantly disguised as insolvable problems."