biochemistry

cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Tue Aug 29 10:22:49 EST 1995

In article <p20505.1.00158962 at UIC.EDU>, p20505 at UIC.EDU says...

>I'm majoring in biochemistry and I would like to know what kind of jobs
are
>out there.

Lots of postdoctoral openings, but permanent (career or tenure) positions
are becoming more difficult to find all the time.  With the uncertainty
regarding government funding a major factor, and companies downsizing,
right-sizing, and capsizing all the time, nobody wants to make long-term
committments to employ someone.  I can't make any recommendations
regarding what subspecialties will be in demand, but food science,
bioanalytical, and process design and scale-up look pretty good right
about now.  Of course, that could all change tomorrow, so you'll just
have to base your decisions on what you enjoy doing most.  After all,
you're going to spend about half of your waking hours at work, so you
might as well enjoy it.
GLC - (PhD in Biochem, 1983)