Mixing rules for log P?

Charles N Haas haascn at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Sat Aug 26 07:16:17 EST 1995

Timothy W. Weber (tww5y at kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU) wrote:
: Does anyone out there know of any mixing rules for log P, the partition
: coefficient between octanol and water? I'm trying to estimate the log P of
: a chloroform/hexane mixture (50-50) and need to know if I can just use mole
: fractions, or if there is more to it than that. Also, are there any correlations
: for log P as a function of T? Thanks in advance.

: Tim

: --
: Tim Weber
: Graduate Student, Chemical Engineering

You might look in Schwarzenbach and Gschwend, Environmental
Organic Chemistry, Wiley, which has a fairly extensive
discussion of estimation of this partition coefficient
(which in the environmental literature is called log Kow).