Care and feeding of bats.

Torch torch at tezcat.com
Tue Aug 29 01:35:04 EST 1995

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 06:23:14 GMT
Subject: Care and feeding of bats...

I'm posting here for immediate lack of a better place.

I just captured what appears to be a brown bat  (large variety)
About 10g in weight. Mature I think. kinda the same size as a medium
size mouse. I found it In my livingroom, on the floor chirpin' it's
little bat head  off...
Its' apparently not a very happy bat cause they (happy bats) fly
around a lot and eat insects. However this ones not to keen on either
at the moment, though it has quieted down and groomed itself a bit.
It seems healthy though incapacitated physically. How and from what
I am not sure. Yet. I spose I'll check the little bugger out in a
while for obvious defects.

I could use the following:
1). A few care and feeding tips for  insecivorus <sp?> chiroptera.
2). Some guidelines for Identfying the make and model of the little

      bugger. It is approximately 10g in weight, 2 inches long, dark

      brown fur, black wings 6"-8" span, and a face that looks not
      unlike a tiny bulldog with sharp pointed teeth.
3). In the event of a prolonged recovery, a suitable theraputic
      environment. (Vet, Zoo, Shelter or the like) in the greater
      metropolitan area of chicago.

This is probably asking a lot for such a small bat. But I would really
enjoy seeing it recover and live out its days eating insects in my
yard. Any help is appreciated.

Ken Leja
torch at tezcat.com

torch at mcs.com