centiMorgans & physical distance: a question.

Teresa Binstock binstoct at essex.UCHSC.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:41:51 EST 1995

BACKGROUND:
     Most descriptions of chromosomal length are based upon the
concept of centiMorgans, a notion derived from rates of
recombination. These descriptions usually do not mention physical
length. However, at least one text provides a statement suggesting
that, regarding human chromosomes, centiMorgan length tends to
correspond to physical length.
       "Thus, one can think of centiMorgans as a rough unit of
distance along the chromosome, although the relation to physical
distance is not truly linear because regions vary somewhat in
recombination potential." p204, Principles of Medical Genetics;
Gelehrter and Collins, 1990.
       I have accumulated approximately 40 articles wherein
chromosome length is reported and wherein male/female length
differences are reported in terms of centiMorgans.

QUESTION:
     Is the Gelehrter and Collins quote accurate? In other words,
although not precisely linear, does physical length tend to
correspond to centiMorgan length?

CONCLUSION:
     I would appreciate receiving comments, anecdotes, and citations
that help answer my "centiMorgan versus physical-length" question.

Thank you,

Teresa C. Binstock, Researcher
Developmental & Behavioral Neuroanatomy
B140 The Children's Hospital