human elemental composition

Andrew Wagner afwagner at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Wed Aug 30 15:58:52 EST 1995

>Can anyone indicate what is the elemental composition of an average human
>being.  I assume the principal elements are Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen and
>Hydrogen and traces of mineral salt elements. But I do not know in what
>percents.  I assume the highest would be O since we are made mainly of
>water (H2O).  Would someone have numbers on that or be able to indicate
>where I could find them. Thank you.

Not knowing the exact concentrations, by looking at the structure of H*2*O,
you see that there is already twice as many H's as there are O's.  Also
with all of the hydrocarbons and CH4's, it must be Hydrogen.

      Perinatal Medicine...Saxophone...and whatever else interests me

                          From the e-mail desk of:
      Andrew F. Wagner                University of Wisconsin-Madison
      afwagner at
 EAT A ROCK                                                   ON WISCONSIN