Leucodystrophy : what's that ?

Imbeaud Sandrine imbeaud at wotan.ens.fr
Wed Aug 30 08:19:59 EST 1995

Hello,

I'm a biologist and I'm looking for informations about Leucodystrophy
disease. It's damage progressivly the myelin, I believe. I've seen a child
(2 years old) who is affect by this disease. He doesn't (in fact he can't)
walk, his foots seriously warp day after day. Analysis of blood, urine,
spinal cord are OK. Researchs were investigated and doctors confirm it was
not a leucodystrophy metachromatic or a Pelizeus Merzbacher syndrome.

So I've some questions :
Can you tell me what else could it be ? Is this disease rare ou frequent ?
How many type does exist ? Does majority of the leucodystrophy transmit by
genetic mode : sexual or autosomique, dominant or recessive or it's
frequently de novo mutations ? Do you know any books or articles which
talk about this or a lab which work on this disease ? Finally, what
doctors could do for this child, some told us there was nothing to do, it
was irreversible ?

Thanks in advance for any informations. And sorry for my poor english !!

Best Regards,

--
Sandrine Imbeaud -
e-mail : Imbeaud at wotan.ens.fr