Hard Copy -- FEEDING FRENZY???

Mahlon G. Kelly mgk at darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU
Wed Aug 30 00:22:34 EST 1995

jcooper at acs6.acs.ucalgary.ca  writes:
> I don't know whether this is the best place to post this, but I'm
> guessing it's about the only place, since nothing else likely
> seemed to pop up...  Anyways, my question...
>
> I was just watching Hard Copy (hey, you can't get less
> intellectual than that, and I *was* looking to relax :)) and
> there on my TV screen was what appeared to be a beached shark
> trying to un-beach itself.  The shark was alone.
>
> Then Hard Copy announces that this is a shark in a
> *feeding*frenzy*.  Last I checked it took many sharks to have a
> feeding frenzy, or at least one shark in less-than-crystal-cear
> water.  I'm no expert, which is why I'm postin here.  Can
> somebody correct me here, or is Hard Copy moving from people to
> other animals as well in their crusade to damage reputations?
>
> Sorry for any spelling errors -- the terminal I'm logged in from
> is horrendously slow.  On that note, please forward replies to me
> at jcooper at acs.ucalgary.ca, as I won't be logging on often in the
> near future.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>              This quote temporarily under constructi
>
> Jason Cooper                              jcooper at acs.ucalgary.ca

Having worked at long-line fishing, in which we were taking
tuna over the side of the ship, I can tell you that a lone
shark cannot have a feeding frenzy. A feeding frenzy occurs
when one shark draws blood, say of a tuna on a line hook.
Others nearby sense the blood. First they go after the tuna,
then anything that is in the water. Other sharks. A boat hook.
An orange buoy on the line, anything. I have seen 10-20 sharks
go after a line, with about 3 -8 dead sharks, or pieces
thereof, 15 minutes later.

Not all sharks do this. It seems as if the worst are
white-tips, which are normally scavengers. I have seen makos
approach such a maelstrom, and just cruise off.
--
Associate Professor (Emeritus)
University of Virginia
mgk at darwin.clas.virginia.edu