marine fluorescence

Peter Hotez HOTEZ at biomed.med.yale.edu
Thu Aug 31 12:01:35 EST 1995

	Recently I was fishing in a salt pond in RI one evening. The water
contained organisms that, upon disturbance (i.e. kicking or splashing), would
fluoresce. We found some of this fluorescence associated with a jeelyfish of
unknown identification, and one of the locals refered to them as "jellies", but
it also appeared that there were some free-floating in the water also. I have
seen similar fluorescent organisms in the waters around Cape Cod, and was told
that they were diatoms. Is anyone familiar with these fluorescent organisms, and
can you direct me to any literature about them?

Thanks in advance

John M. Hawdon
hotez at biomed.med.yale.edu