Wood Worms?

Heptag heptag at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 09:34:10 EST 1995

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, John Skilton wrote:

> I just noticed some little creatures living in my firewood pile.  They
look
> like tiny worms - no more than 1/2 inch in length - and they've bored
little
> holes in the pieces of wood.  Someone told me they may be "wood worms",
but
> I've never heard of such a thing.
>
> Does anyone know anything about the existence of wood worms?  Is there a
> product on the market that will kill them without making my firewood
toxic
> when it burns?  Will the upcoming cold weather and frost kill them?  Any
> insights would be appreciated.

Lots of small insects have larvae that bore in wood.  As long as the
adults don't emerge in your house (and lay eggs) you're only going to lose
firewood. Just don't place the wood inside your house until you're ready
to burn it - the fire will certainly kill them.  Frost won't kill them -
they live outside in trees during the winter anyway.  Try to only cut
enough firewood for a single season to avoid problems in the future.