HELP! Need alternative to BSA as carrier

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Sat Dec 2 18:08:14 EST 1995

In article <fergusb-0112951158130001 at morrison3.mbi.ucla.edu>,
fergusb at microbio.lifesci.ucla.edu says...

>WELL KLH IS THE USUSAL OTHER OPTION BUT I DO REMEMBER HEARING ABOUT
>SOMEONE WHO USED THE LARGE CARBOHYDRATE DEXTRAN AS A ACARRIER WITH SUCCESS
>- SORR, CAN'T REMEMBER THE REFERENCE BUT IT WAS TO DO WITH THE HERBICIDE
>ATRAZINE A STHE HAPTEN SO IF YOU SEARCH WITH DEXTRAN, ATRAZINE CARRIER
>HAPTEN YOU SHOULD FIND IT - ACTUALLY, IT MAY WELL HAVE BEEN IN THE JOURNAL
>OF IMMUNOLOGICALO METHODS
>
>GOOD LUCK
>
>FERGUS
>UCLA

There's no need to shout!

>In article <michael.didonato-3011951151200001 at 142.20.5.141>,
>michael.didonato at utoronto.ca (Michael DiDonato) wrote:
>
>> I am desperately looking for an alternative to using BSA or any other
>> albumins as a carrier protein in cell culture experiments.  Any
>> help/advice would be extremely appreciated.
>>
>> Mike
>> Michael DIDonato
>> michael.didonato at utoronto.ca

Can you give a little more information?  I interpreted your question
as a need for carriers for solubilising substances to be added to
tissue culture cells (eg. many peptide hormones are dissolved in
solutions containing BSA before addition to cultured cells).  In
this case I would suggest gelatin as an alternative but I've heard
of dextran or polyvinylpyrolidine being used.
	If, indeed, you are asking for an immunological carrier for
conjugation then I second KLH and would maybe also suggest lysozyme or
a globulin (eg. lactoglobulin) but my experience is only with
in vivo immunisation.
	What property of BSA is it that you don't like?
		Good luck,
			Bernard
Bernard Murray, Ph.D.