Help please settle a bet

Judith C. Price bw032 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Tue Dec 5 09:30:37 EST 1995

Several groups of Crustacea have been demonstrated to perform sex
inversions.  Each individual possesses genes for male and female
morphogenesis, controlled by the activity of the androgenic gland (quoting
from Ginsburger-Vogel & Charniaux-Cotton in Bliss & Abele (eds.) 1982, The
Biology of Crustacea).  Switch-over may be influenced by diverse factors
such as temperature, photoperiod, cytoplasmic factors and symbionts (both
for the hosts and the guests).

Judith C. Price
Canadian Museum of Nature