"Molecular Vision": WWW & Peer Review ?

Tue Dec 5 20:59:41 EST 1995

On 5 Dec 1995, Jeffrey H. Boatright wrote:

> The article 3A Polymorphic Trinucleotide Repeat at DXS8170 in the Critical
> Region of X-Linked Retinitis Pigmentosa Locus RP3 at Xp21.12 has been
> published in the Web journal _Molecular Vision_  at:
>
> http://www.emory.edu/MOLECULAR_VISION/index.html
>
> Molecular Vision is a peer-reviewed Web journal dedicated to the

PEER REVIEW FOR WEB JOURNAL : HOW DO YOU DO IT ?

If you do it by posting ALL submitted articles and THEN
letting all (signed) comments be added to it, this is
a great path of knowledge dissemenation in the electronic
age. However, if you are still using the  "traditional"
(anonymous) peer review, i.e. send "papers" to the (unknown
to the author) anonymous reviewers and then post ONLY the
articles approved by them, then such proceedure is pretty
meaningless and contr-productive.

For the paper-bound journals you may still see some
validity in the argument that the cost of paper,
editing, printing, etc may justify some limitations on what
is published, but certainly not for the electronic
journals - it is much easier to accept everything [ related
to the topic, of course and this can be easily defined by
editor without peer reviewers ] and then let people (readers)
to post openly their feedback. I suggest you adopt this format,
unless you use it already (if this is is the case than
my best congratulation for the initiative). Despite that some
may not like it, the electronic interactive publishing is in,
and peer review is out. This intellectual pathology (anonymous
peer review) should be put at rest where is belongs - in
the 20th century.

Alexander A. Berezin, PhD
Department of Engineering Physics
McMaster University, Hamilton,