Hemoglobin and Cyanide

MTHOGERSON mthogerson at aol.com
Thu Dec 7 04:03:08 EST 1995

It makes no sense to me that CN can bioaccumulate.  It's water-soluble,
and would be eliminated in short order.  CN toxicity works by binding to a
cytochrome at the end of the electron transport chain in aerobic
respiration, backing up the electrons and shutting down ATP production.
One thing which does work in the way Doug Yanega described is arsenic.
Small doses of it tend to build a resistance to it.  I once heard of a
case where a woman slowly poisoned her husband this way; when he finally
died and an autopsy was performed, his tissues contained several times the
amount of As normally considered toxic.

Mark Thogerson
Biology Department
Grand Valley State University