FX/JAMA/Peer Review

Sun Dec 10 11:44:21 EST 1995

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995 U27111 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU wrote:

> ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu (Candace Krepel) wrote on 8 Dec 1995
> 08:41:52 -0600:
>
> >As I am sure you know, the scientific method requires that the
> >investigator control for all factors other than the one being
> >tested.

(KATHY):
> And I'm sure you know just how much garbage does get published
> under the guise that the scientific method was followed!

BEREZIN:
Garbage in science (all disciplines) gets published in
astronomical quantities BECAUSE of peer review and
resulting from it paper counting mentality (it is
"prestigeous" to publish "peer reviewed" paper in
"prestigeous" journal - no matter the content or "who
reads it ?").

"The more the better" is the prime principle in modern science
(after it became an industry), and I've heard things like
"... he must be a dead wood because he publishers ONLY two
papers per year ..."
(Copernicus had one in a whole life).

Quality and originality are largely periferal. Furtheremore,
for the most part they are liability rather than an asset.
Conformism and fashion tailing is what really brings a premium
bonus. For more on the production driven research culture see,
e.g. John Ziman, "Promepheus Bound", Cambridge University
Press, 1994.

Only the scrapping of anonymous peer review system and its
replacemet by a system of open commenting to all published
(electronically and/or paper-bound) papers will relieve
science from publish-perish trap and release the creative
energy of scientists towards solving REAL problems instead
spending their lives to fight pseudo-problems of prestige,
grantsmanship, "competition" and other crap.

Alexander A. Berezin, PhD
Department of Engineering Physics
McMaster University, Hamilton,
Ontario, Canada, L8S 4L7