Hemoglobin and Cyania

BRIAN LEE brian.lee at woodlawn.com
Sat Dec 9 19:41:00 EST 1995

I missed the question about bioaccumulation.  However, the CN
that becomes bound to cytochromes and other metalloenzymes is
eliminated very slowly.

Acute CN toxicity hits most of the cytochromes, but the terminal
a-a3 the hardest.  With chronic exposure, you will also knock
down Cu enzymes, such as the Cu-Zn superoxide dismutase,
the a few key hemopoietic path enzymes, and another one involved
metalloenzyme in collagen formation (I'm a bit rusty on the
biochem).

mthorgeson:
|MM> It makes no sense to me that CN can bioaccumulate.  It's water-soluble,|
|MM> and would be eliminated in short order.  CN toxicity works by binding t|
|MM> cytochrome at the end of the electron transport chain in aerobic       |
|MM> respiration, backing up the electrons and shutting down ATP production.|

|MM> One thing which does work in the way Doug Yanega described is arsenic. |
|MM> Small doses of it tend to build a resistance to it.  I once heard of a |
"Hormesis" is based on these types of observations.  However,
the mechanism is typically an induction of a detoxification
biochemical pathway, or increased reserved function to account
for the increase in resistance.  It differs from increasing
tolerance, as in allergy shots, or homeopathy where a like
substance in very small concentration is administered to elicit
a therapeutic result.
---
 * MegaMail 2.10 #50:BOING! Washingtonmachine, DC