identify this scat`

Bob Hoesch Bob_Hoesch at fws.gov
Thu Dec 14 11:44:51 EST 1995

In article <4an3re$5lo at ixnews3.ix.netcom.com> btoohey at ix.netcom.com(Brian D Toohey ) writes:
>From: btoohey at ix.netcom.com(Brian D Toohey )
>Subject: identify this scat`
>Date: 13 Dec 1995 17:51:42 GMT

>Quite often while backpacking in the New England area, I come across
>scat 3-5" long. Hair fibers are usually visible, and the dropping is
>usually pointed at one or both ends. The unusual thing about this
>particular type of scat is that it always seems to be deposited atop a
>medium-sized rock (up to 1.5 ft. in diameter), frequently in the middle
>of a hiking trail.

>What animal produces this scat? It may seem odd, but I've wondered
>about this for a while.

>Email would be great.

>Thanks,
>-Brian

The hair says it's a carnivore.  Might be an owl pellet (disgorged (not
defecated) but these would likely have lots of little bones, and would be
deposited randomly.  Too small for a bear, and bear scat would contain lots
of vegetable stuff as well.  My guess would be bobcat.  They eat a lot of
small mammals, they like to advertise their presence by leaving scat in
prominent locations, and their scats are pointy like you describe.

Cheers,
Bob Hoesch
National Fish & Wildlife Forensics Laboratory
Ashland, OR