Miscounduct and Grantsmanship <Pine.SOL.3.91.951216213835.5595B-100000@mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>

Mon Dec 18 09:42:23 EST 1995

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995 U27111 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU wrote:

> >So, we should not be too harsh on Drs. Bendarik and
> >Matsuguchi - who are the first to cast stone ?
>
> Well, in the case of Dr. Bendarik (who was at the CDC at the time
> of this misconduct)... why don't you go into the aids newsgroup and
> ask all the people in there who have been given a death sentence of
> being HIV+? ... or those already in full blown AIDS and presently
> dying?  See in there who is willing to be the first one to cast a
> stone?  As a matter of fact... I think I may just cross- post your
> original posting on this and see what *real* people have to say?
>
> Personally, I think it's terrible for scientists in such positions
> to abuse their responsibility in such a manner (putting themselves
> first, above those there are supposedly helping).

BEREZIN:
I don't know the particurities of the case, and in no way
attempt to vindicate Bendarik or Matsuguchi. All what I am
saying that we have to look deeper at the roots and then
for anyone it should be crystal clear that the existing
system (grantsmansip and many other aspects of it) is
highly conducive to such behavior. No offices, "ORI" or
whatever, will succeed in eliminating it for as long as
all what they treat are the symptoms, not the causes.
Like police, it can perhaps curb the crime (cheers to ORI),
but it certainly can't restor the ethical values in
society (read - modern science). It is highly unlikely,
that institutions like ORI can get too much farere than
mere scapegoatting.