Miscounduct and Grantsmanship

Mon Dec 18 16:39:06 EST 1995

On 18 Dec 1995, Keith Robison wrote:

> Alexander Berezin (berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA) wrote:
>

> : On 17 Dec 1995, Sean Eddy wrote:
>
> : > In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951216213835.5595B-100000 at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA> berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA (Alexander Berezin) writes:
> : >   > [recent findings of scientific misconduct]
> : >   >So, we should not be too harsh on Drs. Bendarik and
> : >   >Matsuguchi - who are the first to cast stone ?
> : >
> : > Me, for one. If they are guilty of misconduct, they have no business
> : > doing science. I don't accept any "oh, but it's so competitive" or
> : > "oh, everyone does it and these are just the guys who got caught"
> : > excuses.
>
> : Thanks for the volunteering in stone casting  -  I am sure the
> : community appreciates your zeal. Just a word of advice - when
> : in stone throwing, be sure to wear a hard cap - flying stones tend
> : to ricochet to the point of origin.
>
> : Good luck with slinging - Alex Berezin
>
> If the community is completely unwilling to set standards,
> then there will be NO standards!
>
> Stripped of the silly rhetoric, that is what is being proposed.

I am not quite sure what you refer to as 'silly rhetoric' and
who (or what) is intended to set standards, but the first, prime
(and the only) root to set standards in (what we call) science
is to put up with secrecy and have the process be fully open
and publicly accountable. Like it or not, it means getting away
with "anonymous peer review" (APR) which some people here were so
adamant to defend. For as long as APR (for grants, at least)
remains in the arsenal of grantsmanship machinery, the system is
bound to breed Bendariks and Matsuguches, no matter how many
"Offices of Research Integrity" (or whatever) are established.

Alex Berezin