Miscounduct and Grantsmanship

Keith Robison robison at nucleus.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 18 10:30:04 EST 1995

Alexander Berezin (berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA) wrote:

: On 17 Dec 1995, Sean Eddy wrote:

: > In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951216213835.5595B-100000 at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA> berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA (Alexander Berezin) writes:
: >   > [recent findings of scientific misconduct]
: >   >So, we should not be too harsh on Drs. Bendarik and
: >   >Matsuguchi - who are the first to cast stone ?
: >
: > Me, for one. If they are guilty of misconduct, they have no business
: > doing science. I don't accept any "oh, but it's so competitive" or
: > "oh, everyone does it and these are just the guys who got caught"
: > excuses.

: Thanks for the volunteering in stone casting  -  I am sure the
: community appreciates your zeal. Just a word of advice - when
: in stone throwing, be sure to wear a hard cap - flying stones tend
: to ricochet to the point of origin.

: Good luck with slinging - Alex Berezin

If the community is completely unwilling to set standards,
then there will be NO standards!

Stripped of the silly rhetoric, that is what is being proposed.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu