(no subject)

Flemming Vester fvest at mi.aau.dk
Tue Dec 19 06:40:01 EST 1995

What is the right way to do an MPN (most probable number)analysis?

There seem to be some confusion in the literature on how the analysis should be
done. I have come acros two different ways:

1)
Some researchers make one single dilution serie, and transfer samples from this
serie into f.ex. three replicates.

2)
Other researchers for example, do three individual dilution series.

As far as I can see, the two used methods are different, and require two
different statistical methods. However, the same tables and computer programs
are applied for calculating MPN's in the litterature.

I hope somebody is able to help me with this problem.

Yours sincerely,

	Flemming Vester
 	Department of Biology
  	Sect. of Microbial Ecology