Miscounduct and Grantsmanship <Pine.SOL.3.91.951216213835.5595B-10

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Tue Dec 19 12:00:26 EST 1995

Alexander Berezin <berezin at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA> wrote:

>BEREZIN:
>I don't know the particurities of the case, and in no way
>attempt to vindicate Bendarik or Matsuguchi. All what I am
>saying that we have to look deeper at the roots and then
>for anyone it should be crystal clear that the existing
>system (grantsmansip and many other aspects of it) is
>highly conducive to such behavior. No offices, "ORI" or
>whatever, will succeed in eliminating it for as long as
>all what they treat are the symptoms, not the causes.

I Agree!

>Like police, it can perhaps curb the crime (cheers to ORI),
>but it certainly can't restor the ethical values in
>society (read - modern science). It is highly unlikely,
>that institutions like ORI can get too much farere than
>mere scapegoatting.

I disagree.  I don't believe the Bendarik or Matsuguchi cases are
mere scapegoatting.  They got caught, they didn't have enough
political clout to be 'looked over,' like others, and then *they*
[Bendarik and Matsuguchi] showed us their ethical values by
volunteering to accept the ORI's decision [and not fight it with
lawyers, like Gallo, and in one case, Fisher, lawyers and a PR
firm!].

As a matter of fact... I don't think there is much the ORI can do
if those who get caught fight it with lawyers and the such?

Thus, not only does this case help to deter future cases [as little
as it does], but they also show us that when you do get caught, you
should 'take your punishment like a man' and not try to wiggle out
of it.

But then again, I agree with you that this is still not enough...
it will not restore ethical values into the field either.

I don't know.

About the only other thing we might try to do is to create laws
where there would be legal consequences to pay for such misconduct.
I mean, if the ORI is going to determine scientific misconduct on
legal grounds [proving intent and all that instead of on scientific
or ethical grounds]... then the price to pay should be on legal
grounds as well [fines and jail time].

Fraud is fraud after all... and in other fields, fraud is meet with
legal consequences.  For what is the difference between supplying
inferior building materials for a new structure which may cause a
collapse of that structure and injuring or killing people... and
supplying inferior data into the pool of scientific knowledge which
would result in the loss of time, energy, and money pursuing the
wrong paths for truths [all while people *are* dying]. ...what is
the difference?

-Kathy