Stop BOB!

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu
Fri Dec 22 16:37:56 EST 1995

>   Gallo announced in May that he was leaving NIH in Bethesda
>after 30 years....

This has to be one of my favorite parts of the article.

Funny... doesn't anybody recall Dr. Samuel Broder (former head of
the NCI) asking Gallo to leave back in Dec. '94?

And of course there were the numerous recommendations that he leave
the NIH starting as far back as '92.

Yes folks... this is the types of 'truths' we'll be getting for now
on as he builds his institute.

>   "It's important to have a debate about it, but . . . this is a
>worthwhile investment," said Del. Howard P. Rawlings (D-
>Baltimore), chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

If it was such an important debate... why not allow Congressional
Hearings on the Dingel Report?  Let's hang out all of the NIH's
dirty laundry?

>In addition, the University of Maryland will get nearly half of
>any royalties from institute patents.

Well.. now we get down to the nitty gritty of the situation.

It's not really a matter of discovering scientific truths... it's
a matter of who can bring in the most monies (whether it works or
not).

And Gallo is the man of the hour.

>   In addressing legislators, Gallo said: "I consider the
>innuendos and allegations to be a frightening aspect of political
>intervention into science. ...

'political intervention into science'?

The man invented that... but I forget... he doesn't have much of a
long term memory these days.

>...Our [research] group is doing more with one hand tied behind
>our back than any other group in the world."

You don't think he's referring to the SP-PG fiasco here by any
chance?

>   As for whether his lab or French researchers first discovered
>the AIDS virus, he said, "It is nonsense to talk about relative
>credit. Historians will decide that."

Yes, Todd... you're right.  This one is for my quote book.

Goes right next to Roger Poisson's quote in "Scientists,
institutions downplay misconduct - Accusers hit office
probing their charges as ineffectual" by Leslie Alan Horvitz.  The
Washington Times, May 3, 1994, pp.A6.

Where:

     Roger Poisson is quoted in this article to say, "I always
     feel sorry for a nice case to be denied the right to
     enter a good protocol just on account of trivial details"

For anybody who don't know... Poisson is the guy who admitted to
entering falsified data of at least 100 patients into the NSABP's
Protocol B-06... which included the lumpectomy/mastectomy trials
for women with breast cancer.

"Trivial details" and "nonsense"... they all start sounding the
same after a while - don't they?

Happy Holidays!

-Kathy