New taxonomic NAMe-files for SKIS

Derek Gunn Gunn at Otago.ac.NZ
Thu Dec 21 23:29:01 EST 1995

We are pleased to announce the release of NAM-F-1.ZIP

This contains eight Family level NAMe-files for use with the
with SKIS (the Six Kingdom Inventory System).

Both NAM-F-1.ZIP and SKIS_56.ZIP (SKIS itself) can be obtained
via FTPfrom:
        garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/science

or sites that mirror garbo, eg:
        archie.au:/micros/pc/garbo/pc/science
        wuarchive.wustl.edu:/systems/ibmpc/garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/science

The files are:

FAMILIES & ORDERS of all PLANTS     Nov. 1995
V001--37.NAM    Mosses, Ferns, Conifers & Flowering Plants.

FAMILIES of FISHES & AMPHIBIANS       Oct.'95
L001--23.NAM    Plus Lower Chordates.

FAMILIES of MOLLUSCS & ANNELIDS  October 1995
F001--73.NAM    Living Families and higher category names.

FAMILIES of VIRUSES and BACTERIA    Dec. 1995
B001--86.NAM    Plus Genus-level names for the Viruses.

FAMILIES of LOWER ANIMALS December 1995
E001--71.NAM    Sponges, Coelenterates Flatworms, etc.

FAMILIES of living ARTHROPODS  October 1995
H001--75.NAM    Chelicerata, Crustacea, Chilopods, Insects

FAMILIES - ECHINODERMS & PROTOCHORDATES  1995
J001--76.NAM    Living Families; all ORDERS; + minor Phyla

FAMILIES - REPTILES, BIRDS & MAMMALS  Oct.'95
N001--49.NAM    Living Families; all ORDERS. English Names

References can be viewed using SKIS
at the end of NameTree within Edit.

Derek Gunn          Gunn at Otago.ac.NZ
SKS-Information --------------------------------------------------
Our aim is to assist interested people in communicating basic and
detailed information for Biodiversity, Conservation, and Education
via the further development and promotion of the SKI-System.______

P.S.  If you want to know more about SKIS - read on.

SKIS v5.6 for Biodiversity Data Capture, Checklisting & Communications

*--------------*-------------------------------------*--------------*
|  SKIS v 5.6  |  the Six Kingdom Inventory System   |   Oct. 1995  |
*--------------*-------------------------------------*--------------*
|  Available now: SKIS_56.ZIP                                       |
|  This file contains the fully functional program SKI_IN.EXE       |
|  for data capture to create and manage taxonomic checklists.      |
|  Included are four NAMes-files with classification lists of       |
|  all Mammal and Plant families as well as all Seabird species.    |
|  For those of you new to the SKI-System we include detailed       |
|  on-line and printable documentation with examples.               |
|  Available free via anonymous FTP from:                           |
|                   garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/science                      |
|  Users can accept the Classification provided or define their     |
|  own Taxonomic Standards for projects large and small.            |
|  In building & organising annotated taxonomic checklists, SKI_IN  |
|  uses Biological Classification as an hierarchical Index; this is |
|  represented by a short and meaningful code.  SKI_INput has many  |
|  data management facilities and provides a variety of formats for |
|  the output SKI-files for printing,  for use in spreadsheets,     |
|  database programs and E-mail.                                    |
|  Uniquely, SKI-System files are updatable as the Biological       |
|  Classification evolves.  The available SKI_PLUS program and      |
|  current series of INDEX files achieve this at Family level.      |
|  The file: SKIS_56.ZIP, requires PKZIP v 2.04G to decompress the  |
|  files it contains (via garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/arcers pkz204g.exe).   |
|  Freeware to private individuals.                                 |
|  Shareware to Businesses.                                         |
|  Concessionware for Conservation and Education projects.          |
|  Dr Stan Woods,  Derek Gunn                                       |
|  Internet:  Gunn at otago.ac.nz                                      |
|  Address :  P.O.Box 6269, Dunedin, New Zealand.                   |