Medical Funding Dialogue

Gregory R. Harriman gregoryh at
Sun Dec 24 13:25:07 EST 1995

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.951223174106.29911A-100000 at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>,
berezin at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA (Alexander Berezin) wrote:

> I am not an expert, but not at all certain that this has much
> to do with a type of BBR-biomedical research. First successful
> vactinations, as you know, where developed by Louis Paster who
> was sole scientist (not "BBR" like).

Actually, Jenner was the first in the late 1700s to successfully
vaccinate.  He made the observation that milk maids rarely developed small
pox which prompted him to use cow pox (vaccinia) to innoculate people
against small pox.

Cow -> vacca -> cow pox -> vaccinia -> vaccine -> vaccination.

One of the better moments in empirical (as opposed to theoretical) science.

Greg Harriman