Funding: to Harriman

Sun Dec 24 14:42:43 EST 1995

(to make easier: single summarily reply)

Dear Gregory,

Reading word-by-word what you are saying, I can
see a point in almost everything you say. Yes,
there are 'good' and 'productive' big labs.
(question still 'good' and 'productive' for
what ?). Yes, not all go there 'for money' (although
I do know quite few young fellows, both genders, who
recently dropped half-way their biomedical PhDs
to go to med.school), etc.

But being 'insider' of the biomedical research
you may (slightly or strongly - I don't know)
overestimate what people outside of it think about
the importance of it for the real progress and
improvement of medicine. You may be very enthusiastic
about how much molecular biology and genetic engineering
can do for cancer, Alzheimer, AIDS, or whatever.

But people 'out there' not necessary see it this way.
What people see is that there is NO real progress on
cancer despite all the billions spend on it (try to argue
overwise to a mother whose child just died of leukemia).

What people see ON THE GROUND are largely broken promises.
And yes, that's why people go (often in desparation)
to 'faith healers' and other likes. And paradoxically,
more and more people see the MAINSTREAM medicine as a
just a form of highly sophisticated quackery which really
can't do too much. In short, its geting more and more
clear (like in my earlier example with undelivered
thero-nucler fusion) that Big Biomedical Establishement
simply does not delievr. I personally, very sorry to say you
this, but it seems to me rather unlikely that BBE can
continue on the same gears for too much longer on the
basis of promises.

Alex Berezin