Misconduct...reply to Kathy

William Tivol tivol at news.wadsworth.org
Tue Dec 26 10:35:41 EST 1995

Dear Kathy,

U27111 at uicvm.uic.edu wrote:

: I honestly don't think most people in the scientific community even
: knows the definition of ethical behavior... let alone be able to
: teach it?

	You may be right, but there are some in the community who do know
ethical behavior, and those can start the process so that more will know what
ethical behavior is, and, I hope, will actually begin to behave ethically.

: >  If
: >ethics was taught at the start, and *if unethical behavior was
: >seen to be counterproductive*, then the scientific community has
: >a chance to propagate ethical behavior.

: I think you mean if ethical behavior was taught and cut-throat
: competition was erased?

	And more.  Those who behave unethically have to be punished.

: Because it truly does go hand in hand.  Otherwise... unethical
: behavior does have the 'appearance' of being productive - it brings
: in monies.

	Which is why those guilty of misconduct should be barred from re-
ceiving grants (if the sin is great enough).

: Well... all I can say is I would believe this if I saw Gallo *not*
: get his new institute.

	That would truly promote ethical behavior if it were the general rule,
assuming what is alledged were true (I, myself, don't know for certain).

: Otherwise... it's beginning to feel as hopeless as watching OJ
: walk.

	I know the scientific community can do better; I hope it will.
Happy new year.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol