Funding and Orwell

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 28 16:29:04 EST 1995

Greg Harriman,

I agree that Alex Berezin's arbitrary choice of 2-4 papers per year
and an equal number of scientists to manage is misguided;
however, there is truth to the allegation that 5% time is
insufficient to manage an R01 and that too few World War II
generation scientists are taking up too much of the pie, leaving
their baby boomer progeny to suck mud for a living.

We must do something, immediately, to stem the flow of young
Ph.D.'s (not to change the degree into something which it is
not:  a 1995 version of the 1965 M.S. degree)!

We also, must, at the same time, get this ignoramus Congress
out of the business of destroying the entire biomedical
edifice which has built up over the last generation.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING.  THERE IS A CRISIS GOING ON.

And, incidentally, too few at the top of biomedicine, are
sucking too much from too many.  I don't need any detailed
studies to figure this out.  My EMAIL box is filled with
horror stories every day!

Bert Gold, Ph.D.
University of California,
San Francisco