Funding: Clarifications to Harriman

Sat Dec 30 21:21:56 EST 1995

Clarifications of some points which I believe
result of misunderstanding (let it be my fault,
if you please) - Alex Berezin

On 30 Dec 1995, Gregory R. Harriman wrote:

>      As we have discussed before but you conveniently ignore, biomedical
> research (even performed on a small scale by single investigators)
> frequently involves extraordinary expenses not usually found in other
> areas of research.  Just the costs of maintaining a "knock-out" colony of
> mice can run thousands of $ per month.  It would be helpful in these
> discussions if you realized that some fields of research by their nature
> cost more to accomplish than others.

BEREZIN:
Of course, I do realize this and have never said such stupidity
(unless somehow misphrased) that theoretical physics (or even
experimental physics)
have to face the same expenses as biomed (average difference
betwen EXPERIM.physics and biomed is perhaps factor of 5 to 10;
grants in theor.physics usually about 2-3 times lower than in
exper.physics, or at least should be).

(HARRIMAN):
>      I suspect $100,000 per year for a physicist (especially a theoretical
> physicist) might be a very generous amount of money, since his/her only
> expense would be a salary.

BEREZIN:
Not even that (in Canada). I assume that professor is on 12-month
salary as a university teacher and all we are talking about is a
research grant. For theor.physicsist/ mathematician grant  of
$ 8,000 US will be pretty reasonable, grant of $ 25,000 US per
year almost a bananza as theor.physicsts don't really need postdocs,
and can live up by grads and visitors (or be short term visitors
themselves).
Obviously, you will laugh at me if I suggest that $ 25,000 per
year is a reasonable biomedical grant (though for many those
who are denied prime funding even these kind of amounts makes sense
as it improves their possibility of teaming).

(rest of this exchange is deleted as mostly redundant to the
above).