Protection of postdoc's idea

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sun Dec 31 18:53:15 EST 1995

I am a postdoc in a lab in academia. I have an idea for a project with
considerable financial potential, but I want to make sure my advisor
doesn't get all the money and glory. How can I insure that I am on any
patents that come out of this and that I am financially compensated to my
satisfaction?

It seems like us hard-working postdocs come up with the ideas, do the
work, and the PI gets all the reward. I want to prevent this from
happening. In fact, if possible, I'd prefer my boss didn't get any reward
from this whatsoever, since I am very unhappy with the treatment I have
been receiving from him.