bacterial resistance to antibiotics

Wed Feb 1 08:09:57 EST 1995

In article <3gmr37$f17 at> ctfaulkn at writes:

>In Article <maga-310195164212 at>
>maga at (Giovanni Maga) writes:
>>In article <011617b.1.2F26AD3B at>, 011617b at
>>(JANE BAILEY) wrote:
>>> I am writing a paper of the implications of bacterial resistance to
>>> antibiotics.

     Some of the comments provided have been from a clinical aspect (i.e.,
difficulty in treating antibiotic resistant bacteria, etc.).   There's also a
food aspect.  More than half the antibiotics produced by pharmaceutical
companies are used at subtherapeutic levels in animal feeds as "growth
enhancers."  No doubt this is one major factor leading to the selection and
proliferation of antibiotic resistance among foodborne bacterial pathogens,
many which can transfer antibiotic resistance genes among themselves or
related bacteria.  The significance is when someone on antibiotics
(suppression of normal flora) consumes food contaminated with a pathogen
(i.e., Salmonella, etc,) that is resistant to the same antibiotic.  Another
major factor may be lack of diligence on the part of physicians in
prescribing antibiotics for every little cough, etc. - well, anyway, the
increased use of antibiotics since WWII in human therapy contributes as well.

>>>  I have only just switched to being a biology major and so would
>>> greatly appreciate it if anyone could send me some information on this
>>> subject.

Hope this helps, regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.             317-494-8284   TEL            *
*  Dept. of Food Science               317-494-7953   FAX            *
*  Purdue University                   murianap at   *
*  Smith Hall                                                        *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907-1160                                      *