Itching theory?

James G. King Jr. jimking at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Wed Feb 1 19:35:33 EST 1995

Clemens Suter-Crazzolara (un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de) wrote:
: >
: > Recently I got a electric toothbrush and have noticed an unusual phenomenon
: > of an itching noise at one location of my mouth while brushing.  The itch
: > is so intense I have to stop brushing and scratch my noise.
: >
: > Theory:  The vibration at a specific location relative to other
: > oscillations in neural tissue will create interference either
: > constructive or destructive that creates chaos in normal stimulation
: > and inhibitory circuits resulting in the sensation of an itch.
: >
: > Comments . . . . .
: > Ron Blue
: >
: >
: >
: hmmmm. perhaps the mechanical movement of the toothbrush gives rise
: to a vibration of the connective tissue which starts oscilating
: at its own frequency, which signal is then recognized by the
: facial neurons, upon which the brain finds a difference in frequency
: between toothbrush and facial tissue, and this together is then
: interpreted as an itch close to the nose ?

: any ideas ?
: clemens