**poll**

James G. King Jr. jimking at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Thu Feb 2 14:36:36 EST 1995

Donna Sullivan (sully at mathworks.com) wrote:

: At least 3 are RIGHT of center. 1, 4, and 6.

: In article <macgyver-0202950025550001 at macgyver.xensei.com>, macgyver at xensei.com
: writes:
: |> In article <3gp3q6$ppk at ccnet3.ccnet.com>, smatthew at ccnet.com wrote:
: |>
: |> > I am doing a poll on several subjects for my speech and debate class:
: |> > 1. Eliminating Welfare
: |> > 2. Lifting the embargo on Cuba
: |> > 3. Legalize Prostituion
: |> > 4. Pass a Nationwide Prop 187
: |> > 5. Eliminate Arms sales to foreign nations
: |> > 6. Banning the media from trials.
: |>
: |> I disagree with your wording of these statements.  You're asking people to
: |> side *fully* with an extreme position ...or not at all.  These statements
: |> are clearly slanted left of center.  It would have been better to say
: |> "Overhaul Welfare" rather than "Eliminate..."  Much better to say
: |> "Restrict media access" than to outright "ban" it.  Prop 187 is also an
: |> extreme measure, even for those who favor a similar (yet scaled down)
: |> measure.
: |>
: |> I suggest that the next time you poll, try to get an *accurate* count.
: |> This is only accomplished by wording without such a clear agenda.  I
: |> believe that most Americans are moderate... neither utterly conservative,
: |> nor completely liberal.  What's wrong with middle-of-the-road?
Who really cares?  I thought this was a biol. bulletin, not a political
forum!?