**poll**

macgyver at xensei.com macgyver at xensei.com
Thu Feb 2 00:24:58 EST 1995

In article <3gp3q6$ppk at ccnet3.ccnet.com>, smatthew at ccnet.com wrote:

> I am doing a poll on several subjects for my speech and debate class:
> 1. Eliminating Welfare
> 2. Lifting the embargo on Cuba
> 3. Legalize Prostituion
> 4. Pass a Nationwide Prop 187
> 5. Eliminate Arms sales to foreign nations
> 6. Banning the media from trials.

I disagree with your wording of these statements.  You're asking people to
side *fully* with an extreme position ...or not at all.  These statements
are clearly slanted left of center.  It would have been better to say
"Overhaul Welfare" rather than "Eliminate..."  Much better to say
"Restrict media access" than to outright "ban" it.  Prop 187 is also an
extreme measure, even for those who favor a similar (yet scaled down)
measure.

I suggest that the next time you poll, try to get an *accurate* count.
This is only accomplished by wording without such a clear agenda.  I
believe that most Americans are moderate... neither utterly conservative,
nor completely liberal.  What's wrong with middle-of-the-road?