**poll**

tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu tivol at tethys.ph.albany.edu
Fri Feb 3 17:24:01 EST 1995

In article <macgyver-0202950025550001 at macgyver.xensei.com>,
macgyver at xensei.com writes:
>In article <3gp3q6$ppk at ccnet3.ccnet.com>, smatthew at ccnet.com wrote:
>
>> I am doing a poll on several subjects for my speech and debate class:
>> 1. Eliminating Welfare
>> 2. Lifting the embargo on Cuba
>> 3. Legalize Prostituion
>> 4. Pass a Nationwide Prop 187
>> 5. Eliminate Arms sales to foreign nations
>> 6. Banning the media from trials.

>I disagree with your wording of these statements.  You're asking people to
>side *fully* with an extreme position ...or not at all.

Quite true.

>These statements
>are clearly slanted left of center.

Pro on 1 and 4 seem right-of-center, pro on 2 and 5 l-o-c, and 6 seems just
extreme.  3 is, of course, frowned on by the Christian Right, but, I suspect,
also by the Christian Left and the Christian Middle.  I guess where you see
the slant depends on your point of view.

>I suggest that the next time you poll, try to get an *accurate* count.
>This is only accomplished by wording without such a clear agenda.  I
>believe that most Americans are moderate... neither utterly conservative,
>nor completely liberal.  What's wrong with middle-of-the-road?

Agreed, but that makes for an unexciting debate class.
				Yours,
				Bill Tivol