**poll**

VonDraco vondraco at telerama.lm.com
Fri Feb 3 18:54:05 EST 1995

Roy Beasley <rdbeasley at dal.mobil.com> wrote:
>>Of course the same thing could be said for #4 since many believe that the US
>>Constitution was never meant to apply to anyone but citizens in the first
>>place.
>
>Certain parts of the Constitution appear to apply to all men (all men are
>created equal and endowed by their Creator with  . . . . something to that
>effect although the words may not be exact).

Go to the back of the class.  "We hold these truths to be self-evident,
that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator
with certain unalienable rights" and so forth is the beginning of the
second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence, signed July 4, 1776.

The Constitution, on the other hand, begins "We the People of the United
States, in order to form a more perfect Union."  It seems rather
specific to citizens, and was adopted on September 17, 1787.

--
           vondraco at telerama.lm.com - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Programmer by trade   - Mathematician by training - Philosopher by nature -