Torpedo californica

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Fri Feb 3 17:11:08 EST 1995

Jeffrey L Nauss (naussjl at ucunix.san.uc.edu) wrote:
> I have been reading recently about work on acetylcholinesterase.
> Often, I find that source for the protein is Torpedo californica.
> Could someone please briefly describe to this ignorant chemist what is
> Torpedo californica?  Why is this creature used so often to study
> acetylcholinesterase?

Torpedo california is an electric fish (ray, AFAIK). The source of the
acetylcholinesterase is the electric organ where this enzyme, as well
as others (e.g. nicotinic acetylcholine receptor) is really abundant.

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */