Rational design of proteins?

Steven Brenner seb1005 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 4 20:13:01 EST 1995

medp4003 at leonis.nus.sg (Farid John Ghadessy) writes:

>Paul Davis (Paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: Hello,

>: What do people feel is the current status of protein engineering
>: and rational design based on analysis of structure and function
>: of natural proteins?  I would like to read about recent successes.

Your question is very general.  There are many sorts of protein
engineering and design.  Some, like the massive studies of barnase and
lysozyme are aimed atse seeing how mutations affect structure to
understand the underlying principles of structure.  Others try to
mmodify a  protein to give it a new function, for a variety of
purposes, including medical ones.  Still another class of research
is on building entirely new sequences to fold into a desired structure
(de novo design), using either manual or automated methodologies.  These
experiments test our overall understanding of protein structure, allow
us to explore regions of structure unavailable to nature, and may
haver material science or medical use.

All of these have had significant successes.  Which do you want
to know more about?

Steve
Steven E. Brenner                    | S.E.Brenner at bioc.cam.ac.uk
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology  |
Hills Road                           | Office:   +44 1223 402221
Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK                | Fax:      +44 1223 213556