Rational design of proteins?

Paul Davis Paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 09:15:54 EST 1995

In article <3h18mt$jib at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>
           seb1005 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk "Steven Brenner" writes:

> medp4003 at leonis.nus.sg (Farid John Ghadessy) writes:
>
> >Paul Davis (Paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> >: Hello,
>
> >: What do people feel is the current status of protein engineering
> >: and rational design based on analysis of structure and function
> >: of natural proteins?  I would like to read about recent successes.
>
> ...There are many sorts of protein engineering and design...
> All of these have had significant successes.  Which do you want
> to know more about?

I am particularly interested to hear of examples where the technology
has been taken out of the lab and into successful medical or commercial
application.  Can someone point me to illustrations of where the
rational modification of the natural forms has been made possible by
first looking at the structures by crystallography and nmr, performing
modelling simulatons and understanding the biochemistry?

Thanks for your thoughts,
-Paul
Paul Davis                                          paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk