Bacterial cell death- as programmed?

AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV
Wed Feb 8 11:18:33 EST 1995

Hi.
I am reposting this message before posting results of last message.
I am interested in the bacterial cell death (as a single cell rather
than poupilation of bacteria).  Many scientists fucuss on the fact of
total population response at stationary phase (such as induction of
stationary phase related gene production).  Cell death at stationary
phase is dependent upon intrinsic factors of each individual cells as
everybody agreed.
However, my question is why a cell (to be dead) could accumulated
intrinsic factors leading cell death and what is the intrinsic factors.
Again, a single cell in heterogeneous population at a certain bacterial
growth stage can decides its fate whether to be going to be dead or
alive.  But, how?

I will appreciate any input.

Augustine Kim
e-Mail : AKIM at ARSERRC.GOV