Semi-Nonquantitative ???

Brian A. Hollander afn08460 at FREENET.UFL.EDU
Wed Feb 8 03:25:59 EST 1995

My understanding of semi-quantitative, admittedly without any specific
reference, is that it refers to relative amounts. As an example, one does
a western blot of three separate treatments and uses a densitometer to
get an O.D. You now have 3 O.D. values that can tell you which treatment,
if any, alters the level of the protein the wetern was designed to look
for. In fact you have a rough idea of by how much the protein level is
altered (ie. by the O.D. values). However you have no quatitative data
on the protein in terms of absolute amounts. Thus these data yeild
semi-quantitative information. Again, this is only how I've interpreted
the phrase in various papers and others may be more informed on this than I.

BAH