Great Scientists

L. Michael Hill LHILL at Bridgewater.edu
Fri Feb 10 01:59:47 EST 1995

In article <1995Feb3.182154.12157 at ivax>, fcrump at indyvax.iupui.edu says:

>Peter Mitchell was the first to come up with the idea of the chemiosmotic
>theory in mitochondria and atp synthesis.. lived in a castle in solitude...
>worked by himself and was sort of laughed at... interesting story I think.

How about the time when Charles Darwin saw a beetle and picked it up.
Soon he saw a second beetle and put that one in his other hand.
Then he saw a third one he REALLY wanted.  What to do?  Stuff one
already collected into the mouth in order to pick up the third one.
The one in the mouth emitted something unpleasant, causing Darwin
to spit it out, and in the process also lose the other two!