Directionality in Development (query)

Jeff Shrager shrager at jamuna.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 10 23:32:37 EST 1995

I am looking for reliable sources (e.g., published papers, textbook
sections) which review (or clearly discuss in the context of some
specific work) the physical direction of the development of
vertebrates.  The hypothesis that I want to test is that there is a
general caudal-to-rostral tendency in the development of vertebrates.
That is, that the pole at which development begins generally becomes
the caudal end, and that the development of the organism progresses
toward the rostral end. So, in effect, your tail end is always a
little bit developmentally ahead (so to speak :-) of your head.  If
you know of sources that I can read (and cite) that discusses this
specific topic, I'd greatly appreciate an email reference.  Or, maybe
the hypothesis is not true, in which case, if you know of sources that
indicate that things are otherwise, that would be great as well.

Thanks very much.  (I am posting this here only, though if there is a
more appropriate list that someone knows of, please let me know or
feel free to fwd my note.)

Thanks very much,
  Jeff