Rational design of proteins?

Richard_Heath heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Sat Feb 11 15:32:30 EST 1995

In article <791993754snz at pdchem.demon.co.uk>, Paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk (Paul Davis) writes:
> In article <3h18mt$jib at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>
>            seb1005 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk "Steven Brenner" writes:
>
>> medp4003 at leonis.nus.sg (Farid John Ghadessy) writes:
>>
>> >Paul Davis (Paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>> >: Hello,
>>
>> >: What do people feel is the current status of protein engineering
>> >: and rational design based on analysis of structure and function
>> >: of natural proteins?  I would like to read about recent successes.
>>
>> ...There are many sorts of protein engineering and design...
>> All of these have had significant successes.  Which do you want
>> to know more about?
>>
> I am particularly interested to hear of examples where the technology
> has been taken out of the lab and into successful medical or commercial
> application.  Can someone point me to illustrations of where the
> rational modification of the natural forms has been made possible by
> first looking at the structures by crystallography and nmr, performing
> modelling simulatons and understanding the biochemistry?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,
> -Paul
> Paul Davis                                          paul at pdchem.demon.co.uk

If I remember correctly from my undergraduate studies, subtilisin is one
example where an engineered protein has "left the lab".  This enzyme is used in
many of the enzymatic washing powders, and was made more stable by adding extra
cys residues to increase the number of intramolecular cys-cys bridges.  Don't
have any refs, sorry!

Any inaccuracies are purely imagined....

Richard