Immunoprecipitating with IgY?

VERHEY at wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu VERHEY at wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Fri Feb 10 15:22:45 EST 1995

We've made antibodies to a Protein of Interest in chickens.
The antibodies work great for us on westerns, but now we'd
like to use them to do immunoprecipitations.  Only problem
is, protein A doesn't bind IgY's very well.

Does anyone have any experience with/ideas that might help?

BTW, otherwise our experience with making antibodies in
chickens has been very positive:  the IgY is isolated from
the yolk (hence the "Y") and seems to be produced in vast
quantities.  We got titers of >1:10,000.  Plus, chickens
aren't mammals.

Steve Verhey
Crop & Soil Sciences
Washington State University