CHROMIUM PICOLINATE

Ronald B. Keys J.D. Ph.D rkeysphd at pipeline.com
Sun Feb 12 18:29:02 EST 1995

Dear Marilyn,

Chromium picolinate was developed by research scientists at the US
government's Human Nutrition Research Laboratory.  It was patented  by  the
US Dept. of Agriculture under US Patent #4,315,927 as a glucose tolerance
factor, made available in the market place in 1987 but didn't mainstream
until the last year or so.  I am not going to write a dissertation on it
but IMHO, its better then most of the pharmaceuticals to manage high blood
sugar, low blood sugar or chronically elevated insulin resistance.  It is a
pro-oxidant and should  be used with an anti-oxidant to prevent oxidative
stress on gut mucosal tissue. The dosage has to be determined on a
dose-response curve following extensive patient databasing.  For chromium
deficient people, the range is anywhere from 50 mcg to 1600 mcg/day, in
divided doses at feeding, based upon assessment of 50 to 100 patient
history variables, family history, diet, age, insulin resistance, blood
pressure, LBM ratio, WH ratio, shape, etc.  I recommend no dosages here.
That is betwen doctor and patient.  There is no average dose because there
is no average person (biochemical individuality) and I don't care what it
says on the bottle.  Its use should be approached with caution and under
appropriate supervision. Pre-existing oxidative stress on the gut  mucosal
tissue is always important in dealing with any pro-oxidant.