CHROMIUM PICOLINATE

Brian Smith-White smithwhi at students.msu.edu
Mon Feb 13 18:24:00 EST 1995

In Article <3hm5ju$j3j at pipe4.pipeline.com> "rkeysphd at pipeline.com (Ronald B. Keys J.D. Ph.D)" says:
> Dear Marilyn,
>
> Chromium picolinate was developed by research scientists at the US
> government's Human Nutrition Research Laboratory.  It was patented  by  the
> US Dept. of Agriculture under US Patent #4,315,927 as a glucose tolerance
> factor, made available in the market place in 1987 but didn't mainstream
> until the last year or so.  I am not going to write a dissertation on it
> but IMHO, its better then most of the pharmaceuticals to manage high blood
> sugar, low blood sugar or chronically elevated insulin resistance.  It is a
> pro-oxidant and should  be used with an anti-oxidant to prevent oxidative
> stress on gut mucosal tissue. The dosage has to be determined on a
> dose-response curve following extensive patient databasing.  For chromium
> deficient people, the range is anywhere from 50 mcg to 1600 mcg/day, in
> divided doses at feeding, based upon assessment of 50 to 100 patient
> history variables, family history, diet, age, insulin resistance, blood
> pressure, LBM ratio, WH ratio, shape, etc.  I recommend no dosages here.
> That is betwen doctor and patient.  There is no average dose because there
> is no average person (biochemical individuality) and I don't care what it
> says on the bottle.  Its use should be approached with caution and under
> appropriate supervision. Pre-existing oxidative stress on the gut  mucosal
> tissue is always important in dealing with any pro-oxidant.
>

> From the cutting edge,
>

> Ronald B. Keys, JD, PhD (rkeysphd at pipeline.com) (2-12-95)
> American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, American Academy of Clinical
> Gerontology, American Aging Association, National Academy of Elder Law
> Attorneys, International Association of Biomedical Gerontology, Life
> Extension Foundation

Which portion of the compound is the active part: the chromium or the
picolinate? Will sodium picolinate work? Will chromium acetate work? Will any
other pro-oxidant achieve the same metabolic end? Will a combination of
sodium picolinate and chromium acetate achieve the same metabolic end? The
allegation that the compound both lowers high blood sugar and elevates low
blood sugar is a bit suspicious. How does one pharmaceutical effect
regulatory metabolism at both concentration extremes of a regulated
intermediary metabolite? It is comparable to claiming that asprin both
reduces prostaglandin anabolism and increases prostaglandin anabolism.
Regards,			Brian Smith-White