AIDS VACCINES

Jeremy Collins jeremyc at cs.mun.ca
Mon Feb 13 21:22:20 EST 1995

merlin at pipeline.com (Gertrude R. Battaly) writes:

>WHAT ARE THE NEWEST DEVELOPEMENTS IN FINDING AN AIDS VACCINE?  DO YOU THINK
>WE WILL EVER FIND A CURE?  DO YOU THINK A CURE ALREADY EXISTS AND JUST
>HASN'T BEEN SAID?

Now, I'm not an expert on the field of AIDS research (or anything else for
that matter) but I would think that anyone how has found a possible cure
would have presented it to the general public, or at least the scientific
community. I figure the general public would be first becuase of the enormity
of the find and the possibility of stolen ideas (hey, it happens).

I really don't think the person or group would hold out because the
cure basically means the Noble prize.....or at least a damn good shot.

These above statements relate to the idea of a plausible cure, somethind
that I find in my limited scope to be far into the future.
Yet there are a couple of interesting things happening out there.
First, there is the release of possible immunity in Nairobi prostitues,
an area where AIDS has an old history by it's present history. I wonder
if it would be possible to track  the Manchester sailor who died in 1952 (?)
of Pneumonia carnii and Kaposi sarcoma, two afflicitions that were unheard of
back then. It was later found out that he had the AIDS virus (from preserved
tissue sample). I wonder if the globetrotting sailor visited Nairobi.

The major problem with this virus is the mutation rate.....by the time the
vaccine is released, another mutationhas probably taken place and the
method of attack would be useless. The protein coat or the antigens
that are found on infected T4 cells will probably very difficult to
utilize as the method of eradiation, since we cannot predict random mutation
and the subsequent structural changes to the proteins.

Sorry for the rambling but that's my little note on the progression on the
attack on AIDS....presently the best defence is education since this
disease has the potential of reaching pandemic proportions, if it hasn't
already.